How much does your child worth?Written by Children's_University
The article is written by Tatiana Tsaramiadou director of Paidiko Panepistimio and owner of the Centers ‘’Family’’.
You are definitely spending a lot of money on your child. Every parent dreams to do his best for his child , even before his
child is born. He dreams of how will his child look like when he starts walking , what his character will be like and how he will develop later on in his life. So when a child is born a ‘’Calvary’’of expenses begins to occur around the Childs life and future, but without preceding a specific plan , without a clean reason or justification for all these expenses . So lets see them in detail:
- Clothes , toys and accessories that there use is for a small period of time. Most of them are branded and are expensive from relatives or friends who could invest all that money on real need for your child.
- Garden toys , expensive beach equipment , walking items , swings , beds , oversized decorations that ultimately hinder the childs life in his room at home or at the garden. Most of these are hidden behind stairs, warehouses , or donated by the first chance to ‘’hide’’ in other houses!
- His food should cost almost nothing but finally it is so expensive as if you were eating in an expensive restaurant! Parents usually buy what ‘’we must’’ what ‘’we must not’’ what ‘’ let there be’’ what ‘’we can do for him to eat’’ what ‘’at least let him eat this’’….! So as you can see , the expenses are increasing. There is no weekly schedule and the worst part is that we throw away huge amount of food that we could avoid buying.
- You choose afternoon activities that cost money , while your child does not intend to continue . Often you are not sure if your child likes it or not. You are wasting valuable time of your childs afternoon driving him back and forth. You return tired with no free personal time , with no real benefits. Children rare continue all the activities. Every child has its own talents and interests and that what you should highlight and take advantage of. I often hear from parents that face the exact same issues as on the above. I hear them say that they have a lack of time and that money is never enough no matter what. This is unbelievable! Some parents choose to sent their child to a public school due to financial reasons , but spending every month more money than a tuition fee for no reason!
- How much does your child worth? Lets see his real needs:
- Your childs diet must be planned. Make a menu as you like or as recommended by your paediatrician. Write it! Shop for the hole week , exactly what you need . Nothing else. Your child will find in the fridge what you have decided for him to eat. Your childs gifts that are given by relatives , friends and godparents are not bought by you , but you can ‘’state’’ that whoever wishes to make a gift to your child , let him choose to contribute e.g on school fees or at camping cost or at a good training program or at necessary type of clothing and footwear. It is a pity that grandmothers and godmothers spend money on things that end up in some corner of the garden.
- The childs equipment and toys should not exceed in volume more than 5% in his room or in areas where the child lives. If your child has more toys , you have to hide them and display them alternatively so that the child would not be bored . In this way he will play and enjoy the toys. If the space were he plays is full , the child loses his interest , gets tired and at the end he feels ‘’relieved when you give the toys away or throw them away.
- The childs clothing must be absolutely specific. Each season the child needs 6 daily changes , 2 pairs of shoes , an overcoat , 2 pyjamas, slippers , hat or a cap , gloves and 1 formal outfit . When we say season , we usually mean summer until September, October , until March, Easter until early summer. 3 times a year usually the child changes size, number until he reaches at the age of 18 years old. So the expenses for this purpose becomes 3 times a year. So if we buy more than we need , then yes we are spending incalculable amounts for our child!
- Our childs education is the biggest investment for his future life! Everything else has no matter. Money vanishes , items wear out , but good education and principles is your childs dowry. A good school with a rich program , activities , with long-term renowned results , a teacher who inspires the children with values and an environment which will offer socialisation , cultivation of learning and positive attitude for life, balance of emotions and a stable character is the best you can offer to your child for his entire life. So these are the most important axes for the real need of every child. Any other income is unnecessary. A child with expensive clothes and bad behaviour , a child with good manners , but with no knowledge , a child with knowledge but with emotional instability is what no parent is aiming for his child. Every parent wants their child to be happy , emotionally balanced , with an open mind , with abilities to manage problems and difficulties and can show off his talents and personal abilities to have friends and enjoy his school and social life. But all these can’t possibly be achieved by pressing a ‘’magic button’’. They only can be achieved with good decisions , a plan and by investing on your childs life. Parents who waste time every afternoon driving back and forth for different activities , try to prefer staying home with your child! Each day should be divided into 3: Rest , work , social and family interaction. If the day is made up only for different kinds of other obligations , then its unnatural! This produces negative emotions and negative behaviours!
- My dear parents,
- With the mother role of two children , of an educator for decades , as a director of Paidiko Panepistimio for 26 years and as a president of the scientific team of ‘’Family’’ Center I recommend , based on the new lining conditions , to reorganise!
- Lets change our priorities and options! Our children and families are more valuable. More than what we end up buying and from any other expense we make! Lets give our children ''the value’’ we have dreamed of. Lets choose carefully the quality of things we buy every day to raise our children better. To be generous in quality and become more cautious of ‘’cheap’’ and ''free ‘’ services. In life , reciprocity ensures value. The ‘’free’’ cultivates wrong impression about life. Lets give our child the highest value and do not compromise with anything less! May all of you be well